Who thinks a vegan burger isn’t as tasty as the traditional version? We are sure of the contrary and want to shout it out to the world while brandishing our new entry in The Warm Street Journal cookbook: our super-tasty vegan burger.
We have created it specifically to satisfy all kinds of tastes and culinary habits: including those of vegan, vegetarian and omnivorous friends.
This veggie burger will make your taste buds dance to the rhythm of guacamole and tzatziki sauce. It’s a medley of explosive and amazing flavours that won’t make you miss the total absence of animal proteins from its ingredients too much. You will find this quick and easy recipe waiting for you below!
Vegan lentil burger with coleslaw and tsatziki sauce – the recipe
INGREDIENTI (serves 4)
For the lentil and quinoa vegan burger
- 100 g quinoa
- 50 g hulled red lentils
- 30 g carrots
- 20 g onion
- 2 heaped tablespoons of chickpea flour
- extra-virgin olive oil, salt, curry powder and sweet paprika as needed
For the topping
- ¼ shredded red cabbage
- 1 grated carrot
- ½ grated green apple
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Muscovado sugar
- extra-virgin olive oil, salt, paper and cumin seeds as needed
Vegan tzatziki sauce
- 125 g natural strained soy yoghurt
- ½ grated cucumber
- ½ crushed garlic clove with the germ removed
- 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
You will also need
- 4 buns (you can make these spinach-infused buns yourself. Just follow our recipe!) For the vegan version just replace the butter with oil, the honey with maple syrup and use plant-based milk)
- guacamole to taste
- tomatoes and green salad to taste
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR VEGAN LENTIL AND QUINOA BURGERS
- Cook the lentils for 20 minutes in plenty of boiling, salted water. In the meantime, cook the quinoa by following the instructions on the package (it will be ready in about 15 minutes).
- Toss the carrots and onions in a pan drizzled with oil and add salt to taste. You will want to make their water content evaporate by mixing until they start to “stick” to the pan, which is when they will be ready. It is crucial to cook all the ingredients properly, making sure you remove as much moisture as possible from them otherwise it will be complicated to keep the veggie burgers together.
- Now drain the lentils thoroughly using a tight-mesh strainer. Add them to the well-cooked quinoa and to the vegetables; add the chickpea flour, the spices and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Now mix all the ingredients together and form your vegan burgers. You can use a dough cutter to help you after which you should grease them slightly on the surface.
- Cook your vegan burgers on your barbecue grill; in just a few minutes on each side their surface will become perfectly crispy and golden and they will acquire that special flavour that only a BBQ can give food. Your lentil vegan burger is now ready!
Now all you have to do is prepare your speedy coleslaw salad. HERE’S HOW!
Nothing could be easier. Put all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix with a small whisk until an emulsion is formed. Put the vegetables in a different bowl then add the sauce and your coleslaw is ready!
THE TIME HAS COME TO PREPARE YOUR VEGAN TZATZIKI SAUCE.
Just mix all the ingredients together. Super easy!
NOW YOU CAN PUT TOGETHER YOUR HOMEMADE VEGAN BURGER AT LAST!
Halve the bun and add some salad, some tsatziki sauce, your homemade burger, some guacamole, sliced tomato and the coleslaw. Enjoy!