These yummy little vanilla cupcakes with caramelized apples are just the thing when we fancy a heart-warming sweet treat. Soft and delicious, they are a perfect combination of autumn delights: apples, caramel and the delicious smell of cinnamon and buttery cakes baking in the oven.
Comfort food to warm the soul when the chill of the early months of the year makes you appreciate home even more. A warm stove burning, sitting watching TV, snuggled under a blanket, with a cup of tea and a vanilla cupcake made by your own fair hands. A moment of peace and quiet.
The recipe for these vanilla cupcakes lets you get creative in the kitchen. You can adapt the recipe in infinite ways, depending on the season and your own tastes, just by changing the fruit and spices used. It’s also one of the easiest recipes to experiment with. Just follow the step-by-step instructions to make perfectly delicious cupcakes for any occasion and any time of day.
Don’t be put off by the list of ingredients and method. We promise that the recipe for these cupcakes is much easier than it looks. And we know it’s worth the effort. A bite of one of these vanilla cupcakes with caramelized apples will be enough to make you fall in love!
Vanilla cupcakes with caramelized apples – the recipe
INGREDIENTS (makes 12)
For the vanilla cupcakes:
- 170 g butter
- 170 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 170 g type 00 flour
- 6 g baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
For the crumble topping:
- 35 g spelt flour
- 15 g brown sugar
- 20 g butter
- a pinch of nutmeg
For the caramelized apple:
- 1 apple
- a knob of butter
- 30 g brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of cornflour
For the cinnamon frosting:
- 150 ml of whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Start with the vanilla cupcakes. Beat the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract until light and fluffy using electric beaters.
- Mix in the eggs, one by one.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour and baking powder with a spoon.
- When the flour is mixed in, divide the batter evenly between cupcake cases in the baking tray. Tip: use an ice-cream scoop to make it easier!
- Bake your vanilla cupcakes in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes. When ready, take them out of the oven and leave to cool.
- Now make the crumble topping. Put the spelt flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix, then add the butter. First mix with a fork, then using your fingertips, rub in the butter to make large crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping on a greased, lined baking tray and bake at 200°C for about 10 minutes, until golden.
- Now it’s time to make the caramelized apples. Peel, core and dice the apple finely.
- Fry in a little butter with the brown sugar, cinnamon and cornflour in a non-stick pan. Cover with a lid and leave to cook for about ten minutes (add a little water if it begins to dry out).
- The apple is ready when it is soft and caramelized. Leave to cool.
- The last thing to prepare is the cinnamon frosting. Nothing could be easier! Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and cinnamon with the cream and whisk with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks.
- Now it’s time to put it all together. Using a piping bag (or a spoon), put some cinnamon frosting on the top of each cupcake, leaving a hole in the middle.
- Spoon some caramelized apples into the nest you’ve created and finish with a sprinkle of crumble.
- The vanilla cupcakes with caramelized apples are ready. For a perfect moment of relaxation, enjoy them with a steaming hot cup of tea, in the light and heat of your warm stove.