For me Easter is the taste of fresh egg pasta. The scent of butter sizzling in a pan, the sparkling fragrance of saffron, the strong taste of black cabbage, the warmth of melting Taleggio cheese. Wonderful flavours and textures, all encapsulated in these saffron tortelli with Taleggio cheese, pears and black cabbage. A tasty vegetarian first course, perfect for festive days!
An Easter-themed table setting (here are a few tips), the smell of fresh, wholesome food prepared by your own hands, the wonderful rays from those first warm spring days. Easter goes hand in hand with violets and daisies as they emerge among the new blades of grass. Time passes more slowly, the first blossom peeps through the bare branches of cherry trees, our dearest loved ones gather together in the warmth of a festive lunch.
These saffron and Taleggio cheese tortelli are perfect for giving your Easter menu just the right amount of springtime panache. Beautiful from every aspect, this vegetarian pasta dish will tantalise everyone’s palate as well as creating a feast for their eyes. With just a few simple ingredients and a little dexterity, not only can you create a tasty yet inexpensive first course but also a wonderfully attractive one. Let’s see how to prepare it, the recipe is below.
Saffron tortelli with Taleggio cheese, pears and black cabbage – the recipe
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 200 g 00 flour
- 100 g of refined durum wheat semolina
- 3 eggs
- 2 sachets of saffron powder
- 250 g of Taleggio cheese
- 100 g of black cabbage leaves
- a handful of almonds
- 1/2 pear
- 30 g grated Grana cheese
- butter and sage to taste
- garlic and chilli pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste
- To prepare the saffron tortelli with Taleggio cheese, start with the seasoned egg pasta. Mix the two flours together and make a well in the middle; beat the eggs with the saffron and add them to the flours. Knead with a fork first and then by hand until the dough is smooth and uniform.
- Create thin sheets of pasta using a pasta maker. Lay out the pasta and carefully place some pieces of Taleggio cheese – which will be the filling of the saffron tortelli – at equal distance from each other; moisten the edges of the pasta around the cheese and cut out squares with the cheese in the middle so as to form your tortelli.
- It’s time to prepare the cream of black cabbage. Wash the leaves and remove the inner rib if it is particularly tough (don’t throw it away, it’s great for vegetable stock!). Blanch for 3 to 4 minutes, drain and blend together with the almonds, Grana cheese, a little extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt, fresh chilli pepper and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and melt the butter with a little oil, flavour with the sage, cut the pear into cubes and cook for a few minutes.
- Cook the saffron tortelli in plenty of salted boiling water, drain and mix quickly with the pear. Place on a plate with the black cabbage and almond pesto. Serve and enjoy!