Spaghetti, love and fantasy. This is the mantra of the Valentine’s Day recipe that we’re proposing today. Because, just like relationships, cooking is primarily all about love and then, without any doubt, about fantasy too.
We wanted to put an amazing new spin on a basic Italian classic like spaghetti with clams and we are sure it will win the hearts of even the most sophisticated diners.
What you get is a rather libidinous fish-based pasta dish: a plate of creamy spaghetti with juicy clams in a perfect marriage of seafood and luxuriously delicate potato flavour. The dish is rounded off with vibrant notes of parsley and the bold heat of fresh chilli, an absolute most on Valentine’s Day. It’s a riotous carnival of the flavours and scents of land and sea! The recipe for spaghetti with clams on a bed of creamed potatoes is below, ready to become one of your secret weapons! Let’s see how it’s made.
Spaghetti with clams on a bed of creamed potatoes – Valentine’s Day recipe
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 160 g spaghetti
- 700 g clams
- 30 ml white wine
- one clove of garlic
- fresh chilli
- fresh parsley
- 200 g potatoes
- 1/4 shallot
- 1 tablespoon single cream
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preparing this delicious dish of spaghetti with clams on a bed of creamed potatoes is easy with our step-by-step recipe. Chop the shallot finely. Peel and dice the potato finely.
- Place in a small pan with a drizzle of olive oil, turn up the heat and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the stock and cook for 15 minutes, stirring every now and then until the potatoes are soft. Add the cream and blend to a smooth velvety paste (add stock if too thick). Keep warm.
- It’s time to cook the main dish, spaghetti with clams. Gently sauté the whole clove of garlic, sliced chilli and chopped parsley in a generous slug of olive oil.
- When the garlic has released its flavour, remove from the oil and add the clams. Pour over the white wine and deglaze. Allow the wine to evaporate. As soon as the clam shells open, remove from the heat and transfer the clams to a shallow dish, covering with cling film so that it rests on the shells, and they stay soft and juicy.
- Leave the clam cooking liquid in the pan – you’ll need it to flavour the spaghetti to perfection!
- Boil the water for the pasta, add salt and cook the spaghetti. Drain halfway through the cooking time and add the spaghetti to the pan with the clam cooking juices.
- Finish cooking the spaghetti in the clam juice, adding some of the spaghetti cooking water if needs be, until the spaghetti is cooked al dente. Lastly add the clams. Remember to stir often to release the starch in the spaghetti and make your spaghetti with clams super creamy!
Your spaghetti with clams is ready to serve! Plate up by spooning the creamed potatoes onto the serving plate and then placing the spaghetti in the centre. Finish off with some freshly ground black pepper and a little chopped fresh parsley. Absolutely delicious! Enjoy!