May is here again, together with Mother’s Day (in Italy, at least) and real spring weather. I am officially opening the doors to the time of the year I like best: the warm sun penetrates the bones and the soul, brightening even the darkest of thoughts. The scent of the sun and of new blades of grass fill the air andshort-sleeved tops reveal arms and shoulders. You start feeling like going on outings, riding your bike and preparing garden barbecues.
Kitchen windows open up to blue skies while hands and hearts go to work on this meringue roll with cream, strawberries and pistachios we will talk to you about today.
This cake is also a gift, a gluten-free desert that whispers “I love you mum. A soft meringue roll that conceals a decadent heart made of cream and fresh fruit and reveals all its deliciousness.
You will find the recipe waiting for you impatiently below. And spring will definitely have arrived.
Meringue roll with cream, strawberries and pistachios – the gluten-free recipe
INGREDIENTS (for 10)
- 4 egg whites
- 250 g white caster sugar
- one tablespoonful of apple vinegar
- one teaspoon of maize starch
- one sachet of vanilla flavouring
- a pinch of salt
- 200 g mascarpone
- 300 g fresh double cream
- one tablespoon of icing sugar
- the zest of one organic lemon
- fresh strawberries and raspberries as needed
- chopped pistachios as needed
- Start by whisking the egg whites with an electric whisk (or a stand mixer). As soon as they start to become frothy add the salt, the vanilla flavouring and the sugar, one spoon at a time.
- When the meringue mixture becomes shiny and firm, add the spoonful of apple vinegar and whisk again for a few minutes.
- Line a rectangular cake tin (40 cm x 30 cm) with baking paper and then grease it with butter. Pour the mixture in the cake tin, level it evenly with a spatula, leaving a one-centimetre gap on each side.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160°C for 30 minutes. The meringue should become firm on the surface but stay soft in the centre. Once cooked, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely in the cake tin.
- Cover the meringue roll with a sheet of baking paper and turn the tin upside down; gently remove the meringue from the baking paper used to bake it.
- Lastly, prepare the filling for your meringue roll: pour the mascarpone in a bowl (or stand mixer) together with the icing sugar and the lemon zest. Beat lightly and then add the fresh cream. Beat again until a smooth, thick and airy cream is obtained.
- Spread ¾ of the cream on the base of the meringue, leaving a few empty centimetres along the edges. Now add the sliced strawberries and the raspberries.
- Use the baking paper to help you roll the long side of the meringue up gently and slide it onto a cake dish. Spread the rest of the cream over the cake and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Serve with lots of fresh fruit and chopped pistachios.