Autumn has arrived and with it one of the dishes I cherish most: beetroot risotto. The aroma of gently melting butter, the sound of the wine as it spits on the heat, the smell of cheese that envelops every single grain of rice with poetry. Every season has a signature dish and for the one that has just begun it can be no other than risotto.
Year after year – as soon as the leaves of the cherry tree begin to turn yellow and blanket the garden as they fall – I have fun thinking of unusual and appetizing combinations to join in friendship with this first course.
The beetroot risotto that I’m going to tell you about today is a tasty and hearty recipe. A joy to the eye and palate, to be enjoyed at Sunday lunch or on those special evenings in the company of family and close friends.
The recipe for beetroot risotto with mushrooms and Pecorino cheese is waiting for you below! Simply serve the dish with the warmth of a fire twinkling in the fireplace: a fire that couldn’t wait to warm both home and spirit.
Ready to inaugurate the most hygge season of the year with us?
Beetroot risotto with champignon mushrooms and Pecorino cheese: a vegetarian recipe
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
For beetroot risotto:
- 280 g of carnaroli rice
- 50 ml of beetroot juice (equivalent to 3 blended beetroots – if necessary use the preserving liquid from commercially available pre-cooked beetroots)
- 2 tablespoons grated Grana cheese
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 40 g butter
- vegetable stock to taste
- Champignon mushrooms
- dried garlic powder and chopped parsley to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
For the Pecorino sauce:
- 100 g of grated seasoned Pecorino cheese
- 150 ml of cooking cream
- 50 g of chopped shallots
- 20 ml dry white wine
How to make the Pecorino sauce
- Preparing the Pecorino fondue is very simple! Start with the shallots: finely chop and place in a hot pan and drizzle with wine.
- Add the cream and, as soon as it starts to bubble, remove from the heat.
- Now incorporate the Pecorino cheese and stir in. Reduce to a cream with a handheld blender and then pass it through a fine strainer thus obtaining a velvety and tasty Pecorino sauce.
How to make beetroot and mushroom risotto
- Begin preparing the beetroot risotto by boiling the vegetable stock.
- Melt half the butter in a large saucepan and add the rice. Toast for a minute and then add the vianco wine and let it evaporate.
- Cook the risotto by adding the vegetable stock as needed. Near the end, add the beetroot juice allowing it to amalgamate and cook with the rice.
- While the risotto is cooking, finely slice the mushrooms and blanch them on both sides on a hot plate. Season with garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and a drizzle of evo oil.
- As soon as the beetroot risotto is cooked al dente remove from the heat and stir in the remaining butter and Grana cheese.
- Serve the beetroot and mushroom risotto with a generous spoonful of Pecorino sauce. Enjoy!
Are you a mushroom fan? Then try our delicious mushroom panzerotti recipe!