Today we bring you a recipe that will warm you to the core, a true autumn (and winter) comfort food. Cream of potato and pumpkin soup with Montasio cheese fondue and crispy bacon is a first course with a strong flavour that goes well with both meat and fish dishes, roasted or grilled. An easy and tasty recipe, perfect for an original and delicious winter dish that even the little ones at home will love.
An enticing aroma to tempt the taste buds, textures that amaze, an intoxicating flavour. Cream of potato and pumpkin soup is one of those dishes you don’t forget easily, one to try and repeat year after year and, maybe even have up your sleeve for the Christmas menu. The recipe is here, waiting for you.
Cream of potato and pumpkin soup with Montasio cheese fondue and crispy bacon – the recipe
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
For the cream of potato and pumpkin:
- 60 g shallot
- 15 g + 30 g butter
- 600 g red-skinned potatoes, peeled and diced (approx. 1 cm)
- 400 g pumpkin pulp (Delica variety), diced (approx. 1 cm)
- 170 ml vegetable stock
- 70 g cooking cream
- salt and black pepper to season as desired
- nutmeg, dried ground ginger and rosemary as desired
For the Montasio cheese fondue:
- 150 ml cooking cream
- 150 g Montasio Mezzano cheese
- 100 ml béchamel
- 100 ml milk
For the garnish
- 8 strips of smoked bacon
- Finely chop the shallot. Simmer for 5 minutes with 15 g butter.
- Peel the potatoes and pumpkin, cut them into 1 cm cubes.
- Add the potatoes, pumpkin, vegetable stock, ginger, black pepper and nutmeg to the sautéed shallot. Cook with the lid on for 20 to 30 minutes over a low heat, stirring frequently until the vegetables are tender.
- While the potato and pumpkin cream is cooking, prepare the Montasio fondue: heat the cream together with the milk and the béchamel. When it comes to the boil, remove from the heat and add the chopped or grated cheese; mix until a velvety cream is obtained. If you run into problems, simply blend everything together for a few moments with a hand-held blender. Keep warm and set aside.
- As soon as the vegetables are fully cooked, heat a griddle and cook the bacon over a high heat until crispy. Turn off the heat.
- Taste the vegetables and add salt as desired. Add the cooking cream and the remaining 30 g butter. Puree with a hand-held blender at maximum power.
- Serve up the cream of potato and pumpkin soup, finishing it off with a few spoonfuls of Montasio cheese fondue, coarsely chopped bacon and chopped rosemary. Serve immediately and savour this perfect autumn comfort food. Enjoy!
Leave a Message