The panzerotto is a great classic of central-southern Italy cuisine. Like pizza, it has the power to agree with everyone because it is good both cold and hot, in a gourmet version or as street food, and at any time of day: for lunch, dinner or as a snack. There are numerous variations on the recipe, but today we are going to talk about the mushroom-filled version … a real treat, perfect to enjoy especially in autumn and winter. Before we proceed, however, let’s start with the bread dough recipe, because it’s much more fun to make everything from scratch!
Bread dough recipe
- 500 gr of flour
- 25 gr of brewer’s yeast
- 10 gr of salt
- 2/3 tbsp of oil
- 150 ml of warm water
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and sugar.
- Make a hole in the flour and pour in the water containing the previously dissolved oil and yeast.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, make a shallow incision with a knife, cover with a cloth and let it rise for about an hour in a warm place.
- After an hour it will be ready to be divided into loaves or rolled out for pizzas and focaccias.
The recipe for panzerotti with mushrooms
- 500 gr of dough
- 200 gr of Champignon mushrooms
- 60 gr of cooked ham
- 100 gr of mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp chopped onion
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Fry the onion in the oil until it softens, then add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat.
- Add salt, pepper and parsley.
- When they are cooked and have absorbed the moisture, remove from the heat and add the ham strips and mozzarella pieces.
- Add the egg and using a tablespoon, place this mixture in the middle of the previously prepared discs of dough.
- Fold the dough in half and press down on the edges firmly to seal them.
- Place in a hot oven and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
VARIATIONSObviously, you can also choose from a wide range of filling options, depending on your taste and creativity. Here are some interesting combinations.
- Mozzarella, well-drained sliced tomato, oregano, olives, salt.
- Pan-cooked spinach, ricotta cheese, pecorino cheese, 1 egg, salt, pepper.
- Pan-cooked artichokes, bacon pieces, Dutch cheese.
- Mozzarella, Gorgonzola, Emmenthal, Parmesan cheese, peas.