Today we would like to suggest some cannelloni with radicchio; the perfect idea for your festive menu. It’s a vegetarian first course enriched with the flavour of scamorza cheese, which gives it a very special hint of smokiness that is perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the potatoes and leeks.
Because Xmas lunch wouldn’t be right without a pasta bake, no matter whether it’s lasagne or a pan of cannelloni. And we have decided to prepare our very own vegetarian version.
This radicchio cannelloni dish can even be prepared in advance, frozen and then baked and browned in the oven when the time comes. This is a perfect strategy to adopt for your Xmas menu! It’s the easiest way to manage the time you need to prepare other dishes on this special day, while still enjoying time with your family.
Cannelloni with radicchio, potatoes and smoked scamorza cheese – the vegetarian recipe
INGREDIENTS (for 6)
- 250 g sheets of fresh egg pasta
- 600 g red potatoes
- 300 Radicchio Rosso from Treviso (better still if it is the late variety)
- 1/2 leek
- 80 g butter
- 80 g plain flour
- 800 ml milk
- 200 g smoked scamorza cheese
- 50 g grated Grana Padano cheese
- pepper and nutmeg to taste
- salt and extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- If you follow our step-by-step recipe, preparing your cannelloni with radicchio, potatoes and smoked scamorza will be child’s play. Start from the potatoes: peel them, wash them, chop them up into small pieces and steam them until they soften.
- Now turn your attention to the vegetables. Wash the radicchio and the leek then cut the radicchio into small pieces and the leek into round slices. Put all the vegetables in a non-stick pan, add salt and olive oil. Place the pan on the stove and cook for 10 minutes, until soft, mixing from time to time. Now add the steamed potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes so that the flavours and aromas can blend.
- In the meantime, prepare the béchamel sauce. It’s really easy! Put the butter and flour in a pan, place it on the stove and mix continuously until it becomes an even, golden paste (this melts the butter without burning it while toasting the flour to perfection). Remove from heat and add the milk a little at a time why mixing with a whisk to prevent lumps from forming. Add salt and nutmeg. Put the pan back on the stove and mix: after a few minutes the sauce will start thickening and taking on a perfect, creamy texture. Remove from heat and pour it into a bowl to stop the cooking process.
- It is now time to put together your vegetarian cannelloni. Pour a few spoons of béchamel sauce into an oven pan and spread it over the bottom. Now take a sheet of pasta, spread some béchamel sauce all over its surface and add a few spoonfuls of vegetables and some diced smoked scamorza cheese. Roll it up and place it in the oven pan. Continue with the rest of the ingredients until they are finished, placing the cannelloni one beside the other. End by covering the vegetarian cannelloni with lots of béchamel sauce, grated Grana Padano cheese and a some freshly-ground black pepper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for about 30 minutes. Once their surface is a perfect, golden brown your cannelloni with radicchio, potatoes and scamorza cheese will be ready to serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!