Let’s stay at home and enjoy its warmth.
Let’s take a few moments, moments of real tranquillity, to enjoy the here and now – to switch off, even if only for a short time – the whirlwind of thoughts that engulf our minds. To read the pages of that book that has been waiting patiently on the shelf for a long time. To listen to our favourite song, the one that puts a smile on our face and makes us want to dance when nobody is looking. Beautiful memories and real hope.
Cooking. Those recipes that require a little more time and patience, which we now have in abundance. Throwing ourselves into baking, enjoying the satisfaction of making bagel sandwiches at home, with our own hands or perhaps with those of our children. In this way our kitchen becomes a place dedicated to sweet pastimes. A place that allows us to fully enjoy the beauty of simple acts, knowing that everything will turn out well.
Making bagel sandwiches is a perfect way to spend a few hours with your hands in some dough, preparing a snack or a tasty and nutritious dinner that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
If you want to know more, the recipe is waiting for you below.
Bagel sandwiches with avocado and egg
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
For home-made bagels
- 150 ml of tepid water
- 200 g of 0 flour
- 100 g of 00 flour
- 8 g fresh brewer’s yeast
- 20 g of honey
- 20 g soft butter
- 7 g of salt
- one teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate
- 1 beaten egg
- sesame and poppy seeds to taste
For the filling
- 4 poached eggs
- 100 g of cooked ham
- 100 g Brie
- 1 tomato
- Spreadable cheese to taste
- salt, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Dissolve the yeast and honey in water; then add the flour and butter. Knead together in a food mixer (or by hand) until you obtain a uniform mass. Only at this point should you add the salt and knead further for a few minutes.
- On a floured pastry board shape the dough into a large ball. Divide it into 4 smaller balls and flatten each one slightly; make a hole in the centre of the discs to form doughnut shapes. Cover the bagels with a cloth and leave to rise for at least 1 hour.
- After this time, boil a large pan of water together with a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. Once boiling, pre-cook the bagels one at a time, blanching them for about 1 minute on both sides. Remove each one and place on a baking tray lined with oiled greaseproof paper.
- Brush the surface of each bagel with a beaten egg and sprinkle with your favourite seeds. Bake in a static oven for 15 minutes at 210° C. Want a quick tip? Place a pot of water in the lower part of the oven, it will help to maintain the right degree of humidity during cooking.
- Remove from the oven and let your homemade bagels cool down under a damp cloth then get ready to make your bagel sandwiches!
- Cut the bagels in half, spread the cream cheese on the bases; add the slices of avocado and tomato, salt and pepper and season with a drizzle of oil. Carry on layering with the Brie, the cooked ham and the poached eggs. Finish off the sandwich with the top half of the bagel.
Do you feel like having a go at the art of pizza making? How about trying our quick tray baked pizza?