This salted caramel apple cheesecake is a delicious dessert designed to greet the arrival of autumn in the most mouth-watering way. We are talking about a super soft apple cake topped with a layer of creamy cheesecake filling and – last but not least – a generous cascade of salted toffee caramel.
In short, apple cake and New York style cheesecake in one dessert.
The recipe can seem a bit laborious – we know – but it’s actually very easy. We promise you that the result will be so wonderful that you won’t regret it… and you will look forward to making it again!
Apple cheesecake with salted caramel – an apple cake with a twist
Ingredients (for a 20cm cake tin)
For the apples
- 3 apples
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- The juice of one lemon
- 15 g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the cake
- 120g soft butter
- 90g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150g 00 flour
- 8g baking powder
- A pinch of salt
For the cheesecake filling:
- 300 g spreadable cheese
- 2 eggs
- 40g icing sugar
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30g 00 flour
For the salted toffee caramel
- 220g sugar
- 130 ml fresh cream
- 90g butter
- 2g salt
- Start with the apples: remove the core and cut the apples into thin slices. Add two tablespoons of sugar and the lemon juice, mix well and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the apples to the pan, cook for a couple of minutes and add the butter, a tablespoon of sugar and the cinnamon. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the cake mixture: lightly cream the butter with the sugar, then add the eggs, flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Mix until smooth.
- Once the apples are cooked, add them to the mixture and transfer to a cake tin lined with baking paper.
- Time to prepare the cheesecake filling: combine the sugars and vanilla extract with the cheese, then add the eggs and flour; mix and transfer the cream into the cake tin, on top of the apple cake mixture, thus creating the top layer of the cake.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for 50-55 minutes. We recommend that you bake the apple cheesecake by placing a small bowl of water in the bottom of the oven: this will create the perfect amount of moisture to prevent the cheesecake from cracking.
- While the apple cheesecake is baking, move on to the salted caramel. Pour the sugar into a saucepan and let it melt completely, without browning too much (if this happens just turn off the heat and wait for the sugar to melt completely by stirring with a spoon).
- Add the heated cream to the caramel, a little at a time, while continuing to stir.
- Now also add salt and butter, stirring vigorously until you obtain a smooth caramel. When it has cooled down, transfer to a jar. If you have any left over, store in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Once the apple cheesecake is ready, leave it to cool completely in the oven, leaving the door slightly ajar.
- Finally pour the salted caramel over the top of the apple cheesecake and serve in slices. A unique delicacy! Enjoy.